Tuesday, April 21, 2009

QUOTATIONS by Abraham Lincoln

QUOTATIONS by Abraham Lincoln
And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.Whatever you are, be a good one.
Die when I may, I want it said of me by those who know me best, that I always plucked a thistle and planted a flower where I thought a flower would grow.
To correct the evils, great and small, which spring from want of sympathy and from positive enmity among strangers, as nations or as individuals, is one of the highest functions of civilzation.
If I were to try to read, much less answer, all the attacks made on me, this shop might as well be closed for any other business. I do the very best I know how -- the very best I can. And I mean to keep on doing it to the end. If the end brings me out all right, what is said against me will not amount to anything. If the end brings me out all wrong, ten angels swearing I was right would make no difference.
You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.
The way for a young man to rise is to improve himself in every way he can, never suspecting that anybody wishes to hinder him.
Those who write clearly have readers, those who write obscurely have commentators.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
People are just about as happy as they make up their minds to be.
I destroy my enemy when I make him my friend.
I don't know who my grandfather was; I am much more concerned to know what his grandson will be.
The Lord prefers common looking people. That is why he made so many of them.
Every person is responsible for his own looks after 40.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.
Fourscore and seven years ago our fathers brought forth upon this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal. We here highly resolve that the dead shall not have died in vain, that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom; and that government of the people, by the people, and for the people, shall not perish from the earth.
Let not him who is houseless pull down the house of another, but let him work diligently and build one for himself, thus by example assuring that his own shall be safe from violence when built.
Let reverence for the laws be breathed by every American mother to the lisping babe that prattles on her lap. Let it be taught in schools, in seminaries, and in colleges. Let it be written in primers, spelling books, and in almanacs. Let it be preached from the pulpit, proclaimed in legislative halls, and enforced in the courts of justice. And, in short, let it become the political religion of the nation.
Those who deny freedom to others, deserve it not for themselves.
When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. And that's my religion.
We must not promise what we ought not, lest we be called on to perform what we cannot.
Do not worry; eat three square meals a day; say your prayers; be courteous to your creditors; keep your digestion good; exercise; go slow and easy. Maybe there are other things your special case requires to make you happy, but my friend, these I reckon will give you a good lift. –
And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

No comments:

Post a Comment